Saturday, February 16, 2013

What the Tooth Fairy Got Up To

The sea has been gray and empty. And for now, still. Normally we'd be happily making four or five knots in the light southerly breeze that's blowing. But we've left the engine on and for the first time ever since leaving Kodiak we're motorsailing under jib and main. This gives us anything from six and a half to seven and a half knots, sometimes even eight. We're flogging it, and I'm very pleased at the speed that we're making. A front is meant to be crossing the southern end of the South Island some time on Thursday, and even though it isn't forecast to be a particularly strong front, I'd rather not be hanging around to see for myself.

On our second day out I was a bit stunned by the fragility of everything, the temerity of setting out on such a big crossing with young kids. I struggled with the lack of sleep and barked at the kids when I thought they weren't being careful enough. But today found us back in our passagemaking groove. The boys played delightfully in the cockpit this morning while Alisa slept, riding horseback on the cockpit coaming, fully kitted with helmets and capes and swords and shields, chasing after dragons. Alisa says that we are lucky to be living like this right now, able to spend so much time with the kids, and she is right.

Elias lost his first tooth yesterday and the tooth fairy left him six Australian dollars for it. I haven't asked, but I can only assume that the tooth fairy was glad to get rid of some lingering Australian currency, without pausing to consider the precedent she was setting for the remaining 30-odd teeth. I wonder if the tooth fairy is seeing this largesse in a new light now that a second tooth is suddenly threatening to fall out before we reach New Zealand. If she's hoping that I have a few Australian dollars hanging around, she's going to be disappointed.

Elias, meanwhile, is mesmerized by my story of children wrapping strings around loose teeth, tying the other end to a door knob, and slamming the door.

Now, the peace, and musty-headedness, of nightwatch awaits.

6 comments:

  1. No worries about the precedent, everyone knows that the first tooth always earns the biggest bounty, and that amounts diminish from there. This is also a lesson in past performance not being a guarantee of future returns. That is true for the 30-odd teeth remaining, as well as for the even ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good news - Elias lost his 2nd tooth on the passage, and he was completely happy with $1 (which still might be a bit rich!)

      Delete
  2. My aunt and uncle had a very similar tooth fairy issue last year with my six-year-old cousin! They were camping when she lost her first tooth. The smallest thing they had was a $5. She lost the next one at my house and they had a lengthy discussion about what to do. My aunt thought they needed to keep up the 5's, my uncle thought it was ridiculous to be giving a little kid $5 for every tooth. Eventually they compromised on $3. My cousin looked disappointed when she woke up and counted the money, but I think she was a little too afraid of angering the tooth fairy to say anything out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luckily, Alisa and I both agree that we'll have to ramp it down - and so far, Elias doesn't mind! (see above!)

      Delete
  3. Almost there.... thats fantastic. Can you smell the sheep yet?
    Looking forward to having a chat soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey guys - yep, we'll have to give you a bell - but of course haven't figured out internet (very well) or mobile yet. It's like we're in a different country!

      Delete