Saturday, July 2, 2011

Working Our Way




I don't usually write about my work on this blog.  But lately my work has been pushing everything else out.  Right now I'm a part of two different marine biology research projects.  When those projects were coming together, the plan was that we would be spending 2011 mostly stationary in Tasmania, where it would be easy for me to work.  But then we went and bought a boat in California and committed to delivering her back to Oz.  So that leaves me working my way across the Pacific - we've planned several extended stays in familiar ports during the crossing to give me time to meet my work commitments.



We're in the first of those work stops now - in Taiohae, Nuku Hiva.  I spend the days working away, and Taiohae gives Alisa a semi-convenient place to entertain the boys ashore.



Family life aboard the boat very much requires a joint effort from Alisa and me, so when I take most of the day for work, a huge part of the burden of keeping things going is shifted onto Alisa.



It takes a little while to get used to the indifference of Taiohae.  The villages on Nuku Hiva, and in the rest of the Marquesas, are so friendly, but this town is much more restrained in the way it greets outsiders.

But to make up for that, it has the most beautiful setting that I can remember for any town that I've ever seen.

And I can get wifi from the boat, a must for work. 

(Moitessier rolls over in his grave.)

And Alisa can eke out a little fun for the boys.  A big hit has been the hotel that offers up its pool for the price of an orange juice and a coffee.



OK - I've got to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment