Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Old Girlfriend


When we arrived at the marina in Hobart a couple months ago, I immediately scanned the forest of masts  for the unmistakeable profile of Pelagic.  We sold her in Hobart a little more than a year ago, and I had heard the new owner was keeping her in that marina.

The thing is, I didn't really want to see our old boat.  I'm not sentimental about boats.  (Really!  I'm not!)  But we just had too much of a history with that old boat.  Seeing her again would be like seeing an old girlfriend - it would make me remember the good times, but also remind me that they were all over.

It turned out that Pelagic was staying on the other side of the Derwent estuary, so I was spared the sight. But Hobart is small, and we quickly met the new owner.  And then, this last week, he brought her to this marina for her annual haulout (above).

And I've got to say, it wasn't so bad to see our old home.  I even brought Elias by to take a look.

It's reassuring to see that she's in good hands.  And seeing her again really did bring back a few memories - I looked at the spreaders, high above the boat yard, and remembered standing up there, looking for coral, the afternoon when we first sailed into Tahanea.

And, maybe because we're busy making sailing memories on Galactic, it didn't bother me too much to realize how remote the Pelagic years are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment