We had finally and completely decided to put off any thoughts of repowering Galactic until we got to New Zealand next summer. All indications were that the job would be about 25% cheaper there, which was enough of a difference to justify the huge kink in our New Zealand sailing season that swapping engines would create.
The final straw was when I looked into purchasing an engine GST-free in Oz, since we are after all a foreign-flagged vessel on an international voyage - an overseas port is our next port of call. No dice. The Kiwis, on the other hand, make GST-free purchases totally easy for foreign yachts.
So we once again resolved to skip the over-valued Australian dollar and wait on the job, and this time we had the added joy of deciding to skip the inflexible Australian policy towards taxing foreign vessels, to boot. And, to make our happiness complete, we had an ironclad reason to procrastinate on an incredibly troublesome and expensive boat job.
But then, just to be sure of the facts, I called up an engineering shop in NZ and priced out the Volvo engine that had been suggested to us here. And, low and behold - it'll cost us $700 AUD more in New Zealand than it would here.
Now, we're not at all sold on the Volvo. Particularly since our good friends on Enki are currently going through the nightmare of a Volvo with mysterious debilitating faults that a parade of factory-trained mechanics cannot fix. But even with the cheaper labor (and I cannot shake the prejudice that it is likely better labor) that we would find in New Zealand, there's no point in waiting until next summer if the engine will cost us more.
So, procrastination may be out the door. We're going to price out a Yanmar in both countries, just to be sure.