Friday, March 20, 2015

I'll Forbear, You Forbear

Readers of this blog will know that I find unnecessary discussion of boat maintenance to be boorish, and writing about it to be worse.

Stupidity may be the greatest sin for the general run of humanity (according to Oscar Wilde, I think?). But focusing on means, rather than ends, is the greatest sin both for sailing writers and for sailors in general.

Some people can write entertainingly about sailboat maintenance, but I don't even try.

So I'll just refer you to this picture to the right, vintage yesterday, from the engine room of Galactic.

That would be our engine, off its mounts and hanging on end.

I won't go into any details, of course.  I will forbear from over-sharing.

The crew, ready to go crabbing
And I would beseechingly ask for a response in kind.  If you are an editor at that leading sailing magazine for which I have resumed a bit of freelance work of late, and you are wondering when those excellent ideas that I pitched your way will turn into actual stories - please, forbear from asking.
Bits of the engine on deck in Puerto Montt















And if you are one of my science colleagues, wondering when I am going to come through with a promised bit of collaborative work - well, I'm sure I'm up to date on that front, without anything outstanding.  But if I've forgotten something, please forbear.

And, if you're a regular reader of the blog, perhaps someone who is nursing their own plans to follow the salty dream, and you're wondering when we're going to get to los canales already, wondering when the blog will be saturated with photos of the towering spires and ice-encumbered waters of Patagonia - well, they're coming.  A delightful Dutch/Spanish crew (the other crazy people heading South in the winter) just left Puerto Montt yesterday, and we hope to soon do the same.

Meanwhile, I'll offer some pics from the final days of our month in the Chiloé region to close:

Black-necked swan

South American sea lions - lobos de un pelo

Wing 'n wing and reefed down


Sunrise with forest fire smoke

Brothers
More soon.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! That is a gut wrenching photo of the Galactic's heart standing on its head! Good luck. Seems you had wonderful days before and even more adventurous days ahead. Good motivation! Rocco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way too much sunlight on a diesel auxiliary. I wish you were boorish. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re that engine on deck: looks like major s!#t. Will a night on the pisco sours make it go away? Otherwise, get boorish. We can wait for the next instalment of enviable pix, but those sea lions will take some beating.

    ReplyDelete